Top safety tips for new homeowners in Athens
If you purchased your first home or you’re getting ready to, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for you and yours. You’re likely thinking about all the ways you might personalize your house with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, make certain you give thought to home security too. Keeping those you care about safeguarded should always be a leading priority, and we’ll help you do so with these safety tips for new homeowners in Athens.
Complete a safety review of your new Athens property
Now that you’re considering safety, see what your new home already has. To start, make certain you have operational fire alarms. Try each one and change batteries if necessary. Are CO detectors in the house? Did you find a water sensor in the cellar? This is also a smart time to update door locks and inspect all locks on windows. Go room-by-room and scope out your property.
Smart security tips for your Athens home
Once you’ve done your opening inspection of locks and safety alarms, you may consider elevating your property’s defense. Get started with these security tips for your home in Athens.
- Invest in a modern home security system. One of the top things a new homeowner in Athens can do is integrate a home security system. Today’s wireless technology lets you keep an eye on your property even when you’re at the office or on vacation. You may review live video feeds, engage door locks, and even speak with guests at your door directly from your cell phone. You can customize with worthwhile security measures such as video surveillance and monitored safety alarms.
- Upgrade outside lights. Outdoor lights with motion detection are a smart approach in discouraging prospective intruders. You can even incorporate them with video cameras. The triggering of a motion sensor can signal your surveillance to record.
- Maintain your yard. Do you have an unblocked view of your property through your windows? Are there oversized trees and bushes blocking the view? Eliminate potential hiding spots for burglars by keeping your yard well maintained. Your neighbors will appreciate it too.
- Make friends with folks on your street. One more thing about your neighbors, get acquainted with them. If you know people close to you, they’ll be more likely to let you know if they detect anything suspicious. You can also join your area’s social media group if one is established.
- Utilize home automation. If you opt for an advanced smart home, you can make it look like you’re on site by illuminating smart lighting at scheduled times. This is a fantastic feature when you’re away.